Sacramento Craft Mafia

The Sacramento Craft Mafia is an organization of indie business owners who have come together to promote, support and encourage each other and put Sacramento on the map as the capital of Crafts.

Friday, September 19, 2008

Crafting & selling in a poor ecomony.

Even if you have decided to hide in your yarn basket until things improve, you can't help but to notice where our economy is right now.

Gas prices, homes in foreclosure, downsizing and my favorite current trend, the "staycation". It is amazing how things have changed over the last couple of years. I have been thinking recently about how does/will this effect the Crafting community?

As people are more and more careful with their money, putting off purchases, only buying "necessities" (Sorry, but I NEED glitter and yarn!) how are Crafters coping?

I found an interesting discussion on this subject, and I found some real inspiration there, so I thought I would share it.

Would love to hear from you all, too!

It's important, especially now for Crafters to encourage and support each other. Yes, times are tough, but so are Crafters!

Read the discussion.

3 Comments:

At September 19, 2008 at 8:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hear that! I think another big issue right now for people is the TIME to craft. With the economy so bad and people losing their jobs, you're either too busy...

1) Keeping yours
2) Back in school
3) Looking for a new job

To craft! It's really a sad state. Personally I just have been looking for better deals on supplies, re-using old materials and thinking "outside the box" (recycling, etc) and doing my best to support my fellow crafters when it comes time for gift-giving.

We all do what we can, but yes! I think the current state of the world is having a horrible impact on craft of all kinds (and the people who make them).

 
At September 22, 2008 at 12:47 PM , Blogger Juli Nocita said...

It is crazy right now but hopefully the holidays will help out. I am signed up for 8 craft fairs between now and two weeks before Christmas, and really, I am just hoping to get back my table money while getting my name out there.

My friends and family have been giving me old pieces of broken jewelry to repurpose/recycle into my new pieces and it's great because I had to put a limit on my supply spending as my husband isn't working until the new year. We all just make do, don't we?

 
At September 26, 2008 at 9:25 AM , Blogger Cori said...

I agree with Antoinette. The economy has inspired me to "think outside the box".

Every time I am tempted to run out and buy new supplies I stop and ask myself if I really need it. I then ask myself- "what do I have in my studio that I could use instead?"

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home